How to Escape the Harmful Effects of Wall Paints

How to Escape the Harmful Effects of Wall Paints

Maybe you’re not crazy about the color of the kitchen in your new house. Or perhaps you’re preparing your house for a new occasion. Painting is something we refer to as a recurring activity. But how safe is your indoor paint? Ever wondered what can happen if you inhale paint fumes?

On the most basic level, paint is a pigment that’s dissolved in a liquid called the solvent. It can then be applied to walls or other surfaces by your Home service experts. In addition to these two ingredients, other ingredients or additives are often present.

There are two different types of indoor paints as described by Home cleaning service experts:

• water-based, paints that contain water as the primary liquid, although some other solvents may also be included.

• Oil-based paints, that use solvents other than water, such as organic solvents.

Most paints have some level of VOCs. VOCs are released into the air as gases from solids or liquids that contain organic chemicals, such as paints and varnishes. Exposure to VOCs can sometimes lead to short or long-term health effects.

Ideally, you should aim to limit your use of products that generate VOCs and take safety measures when using them.

Low-VOC and no-VOC paint products are also available for purchase. When shopping for paint, check the labels to get an idea of a product’s VOC levels or take help from your home service experts to help you buy the right product.

You may have heard about lead-based paint. Lead is a metal that can be very toxic and cause a variety of health problems.

Homes built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. People using lead-based paints need to take extra precautions when performing home improvement projects that may expose them to peeling or chipped paint.

Paints can cause irritation if they get onto your skin. They can also be extremely harmful when swallowed. Furthermore, the fumes from these types of paints can irritate your eyes, nose, or throat. Irritation should go away when you go out into fresh air.

Short-term side effects from inhaling VOCs can include:

• irritation of the eyes, nose, or throat

• headache

• feeling dizzy or light-headed

• nausea

• trouble breathing

Exposure to strong paint fumes can certainly trigger conditions such as asthma. Interestingly, latex paints don’t contain any natural rubber latex and don’t affect people with latex allergies as explained by home service experts.

If you’re going to be painting in your house with the help of your home service experts, here are some best practices that you can follow in order to reduce your risk:

• Be sure you select indoor paints. Select a product that will generate less harmful fumes or VOCs, such as water-based paints.

• Read safety information on the product label carefully. Note any warnings, first-aid information, or if protective measures like gloves or goggles are required. You may want to use a respirator to lower your risk of inhaling VOCs.

• Always paint in an area that’s well ventilated. You may want to wait for the weather to be dry so you can open some windows. Consider using a box fan in the window to help direct air flow to the outside.

• Take frequent breaks to allow yourself to get some fresh air.

• After painting, plan to keep windows as open as possible for two to three days in order to allow paint fumes to exit the room.

• Close any leftover paint containers tightly to prevent vapors from leaking into the surrounding area. If you choose to dispose of leftover paint, be sure to do so properly.